Thursday 15 August 2013

Dear Steven Moffat

Dear Steven Moffat,

No, this isn't going to be one of those letters about how you are the Antichrist and you are ruining Doctor Who. Because on both counts you are not. Instead this is a letter about how I am ruining Doctor Who.


The measure of how big a fan you are seems to be how many spoilers you know. If that is true I want to be a lesser fan. I'm all spoilt out. Here you are trying to create a stories full of mystery and intrigue and your biggest fans are discussing possibilities to the nth degree, exposing spoilers and generally removing any air of mystery that you have built.
I want out of the endless cycle of speculation, blurry on location photographs and talk about leaked BBC documents. It's driving me crazy and making the show less fun. My constant obsession with checking the Doctor Who news sites is giving me a little daily thrill at the expense of actually enjoying the show I love.



I know who the John Hurt Doctor is, I know some locations for the 50th Anniversary episode. I know what recurring characters we are likely to see. I can make a good prediction as to what the story will be about. But the thing is that if the story is different I may be disappointed because I felt I have missed out on something. If the story is the same as what I predicted I feel disappointed that there was no surprises. It's a lose/lose situation.

All this happens while you are expending a huge amount of resources to keep secrets in the aim that we fans have something to amaze and shock us.

I need to stop this bad cycle and not visit these websites.I've deleted the links. I can do this. We can all do this. We need to embrace the mystery of Doctor Who again.

No comments:

Post a Comment