Sunday 9 February 2014

Book Review: 'The Hobbit' by J.R.R. Tolkien

So after 20 or so years, I finally got around to rereading 'The Hobbit' and it was like reading it anew. I obviously had no previous memories of it, and I'd guess that although I read read it as a precocious child who read beyond their age, I didn't really comprehend that much. Even though this is geared towards a younger audience.

But this time I had so much fun. The prompting to get my finger out was my enjoyment of the movies, especially 'The Desolation of Smaug' (going to re-watch it again in a couple of days). So it was high time I read it.

I guess with the movies being out there and the book being well-read I don't need to talk much about the story. It is a simple story, but for when it was written it was virtually unique. And you can tell that it is written to be read out loud. I'm going to have to purchase an audiobook of this.

So what more can I say? I had a lot of fun reading this and I am ashamed it took me so long to get around to it. Tolkien is the only author that I'll read that can have a dragon on the cover and a map of pointy mountains at the beginning of the book. Have you read it yet? If you haven't why haven't you? Get around to it. You'll have a lot of fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment